Real Madrid could suffer a Barcelona-like transfer ban according to reports in Spain.
Spanish radio show El Larguero revealed the possible punishment late on Tuesday night in a FIFA investigation into the signing of young players that has also implicated Atletico Madrid.
The sport’s governing body revealed their investigation earlier this season regarding the signing of numerous young players on the books of the European champions. Madrid acknowledged the investigation and said they would help FIFA.
Now the Cadena SER programme says FIFA are set to hit both capital clubs with transfer bans as they did to Barcelona this year. The Catalans cannot sign anyone until January 2016.
If Madrid do get hit with a transfer ban they could appeal the decision with the Court of Arbitration for Sport. If they do, any such ban is likely to be put on hold and Madrid would be able to ‘stock up’ on players in preparation for a ban.
If the ban goes ahead, an appeal would likely put things on hold until January 2016, ruling Madrid and Atleti out of making signings throughout the course of next season.
There have been indications that Madrid have been anticipating a ban. Since December they have signed a whole host of players, including Lucas Silva, Martin Odegaard and Danilo, with the latter arriving from Porto next season.
A ban could also implicate David de Gea’s future. The Manchester United goalkeeper has been linked with a move to the Santiago Bernabeu and Madrid could up the ante in the chase for the Spain international in light of their possible transfer ban.
It could also see Los Blancos reluctant to let other players leave. Asier Illarramendi, Iker Casillas and Jese Rodriguez have all been linked with moves away from the Spanish capital but Madrid could have second thoughts.
There have been no words from the clubs of FIFA yet but reports are growing over the possible bans in Spain and across Europe.